Boundary Waters Canoe Area History Center
Establishes no cut zone of 362,000 acres near border to preserve stands of large pines.
1941-48. Loggers, Resorters
Pulpwood logging begins along southern perimeter of SRPA. "Fly-Ins" start to be
established in SRPA. Private land holdings established. Conservationists agitate against
logging, motor use, fly-ins.
IWLA establishes fund to purchase land in wilderness, buys number of resorts and turns
them over to the Federal Government. Petitions Congress to pass bill to acquire land in
Begin logging in SRPA. Build roads and even a railroad to Forest Center. (A town within
southern edge of SRPA; now a BWCA entry point)
Regional Forester, Price, supports efforts of conservationists.
Passes Thye-Blatnik Act. This act directed Sec. of Ag. to acquire resorts, cabins and
private lands within 2/3 of future BWCA. Another key bill.
IWLA Fund had grown under Paul Clement, Administrator. 11 tracts and 6 resorts had been
purchased and resold to USFS at a loss as of this time.
"Friends of the Wilderness" formed by Bill Magie et al to oppose fly-ins.
Passes bill making fly-ins illegal on state controlled waters.
Truman issues executive order forbidding flights below 4000 ft. over SRA.
Continue fly-ins while protesting unconstitutionality of exec. order and file suit.
Conservations continue to agitate against fly-ins.
Eighth District Court upholds order. Flights finally stop when offenders were arrested and
Press for and receive contracts from USFS to log virgin timber in SRA. Build roads, etc.
to remove logs.
Snowmobile intrusions of SRA increase. More people enter area for recreation. Use of large
motor boats increases.
"Friends" and IWLA call attention to misuses. In 1957 Wilderness Committee
headed by Adolph Anderson formed. Had many confrontation meetings with USFS Supervisor,
Neff. Sought support of other conservation groups. By 1963, many other conservation and
benevolent groups were speaking out against abuses and calling for protective legislation.
Extends Thye-Blatnik Act to cover almost all of present BWCA and increased land
acquisition appropriation to $2.5 Million.
Changes name of Superior Roadless Area to BWCA.
Written by H.C. Johnson, M.L.
Heinselman, E.M. Sitz.
An outline of Boundary Waters
Canoe Area History
History Page |
1920-1940 | 1941-1958 |
1976 | 1977 |